Operating a field station for research and education presents many challenges. The Organization of Biological Field Stations (OBFS) exists to help stations meet these challenges!
OBFS is busy at work on issues that affect your field station, including developing relationships with funding agencies, cooperating in research networks, and sharing information with Congressional Representatives in Washington D.C.
Stay involved with us to help shape the future of field science in your community.
Become a Member:
Annual Station Membership
Annual Individual Membership
- Access to a network of peers around the U.S. and beyond who share information, advice, and provide support. Learn about training opportunities and workshops for station staff.
- Participation in the OBFS Annual Meeting, which rotates among member stations and features agenda items that address common issues faced by field stations. This includes plenary sessions on subjects of broad interest, and targeted breakout sessions on issues like fundraising, sensor networks, starting new stations or programs, and more effective outreach.
- Access to the OBFS email listserver, where station directors and managers share questions, ideas, and documents to enhance station operations. Recent topics include: best tablets for field use; sharing strategic plans; minimizing field research impacts; and waivers for different station visitors.
- Your station’s contact information appears in an easily accessible format and on the interactive map of OBFS stations.
- Access to “members only” section of the website where you can advertise jobs, contribute news, advertise field courses and access a wealth of documents.
- Opportunities to collaborate with stations via NSF Research Coordination Networks and on other proposals.
- Information for developing sustainable facilities and operations.
- Annual Station Membership allows the field station(s) representative to vote in OBFS elections and decisions, as well as the above benefits.
Membership is valid from January 1 to December 31 of each year. All amounts are in US Dollars.
Need to pay by check?
Can't use a credit card to renew your membership? Use use our online registration form to print an invoice to send with your check to the Treasurer. Once you have filled out the form, select the "pay by check" option. You'll then see a printable invoice, as well as receive an emailed copy of your invoice.
If you have any questions about purchasing an annual membership, please contact:
Philippe S. Cohen
Phone: (650) 798-9038
Donate to OBFS!
OBFS is a non-profit organization and you can help further and sustain its mission through your generous support. Please consider a generous donation in support of our work to help shape the future of field science in your community!
A receipt will be emailed to you, as well as available for print, in order to claim a deduction on your taxes once you've completed your donation.